Monday, August 17, 2026
Star Today Logo
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Politics
  • Investigation
  • Health
  • Opinion
No Result
View All Result
Star Today Logo
Home News

Governor Sang at pain to explain Sh2.3 billion unspent in Nandi

September 1, 2020
in News
Reading Time: 2 mins read
Governor Sang at pain to explain Sh2.3 billion unspent in Nandi
152
SHARES
Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on Whatsapp

The Nandi county government could have denied patients life-saving services after revelations it failed to spend Sh2.3 billion in 2017-18 financial year.

This emerged during a Senate committee hearing as the legislators questioned Governor Stephen Sang on poor collection of own-source revenue and management of imprests.

The County Public Accounts and Investments Committee summoned the governor to respond to audit queries flagged by former auditor general Edward Ouko in 2017-18.

Readers' Choice

Co-op Bank profit jumps to Sh18 billion as income streams expand

KEBS clears five Kenyan alcohol brands suspended in Rwanda

 According to the report, Nandi government did not absorb Sh1.30 billion allocated for development and Sh1.01 billion for recurrent expenditure.

For instance, Finance, Economic Planning and ICT, Youth, Gender, Sports and Social Services and offices of the governor and deputy governor did not absorb their allocations at all.

The Finance department had been allocated Sh117.67 million, Youth Sh58.50 million and the offices of the governor and his deputy Sh13 million.

“It is evident that management did not utilise a total of Sh1,305,412,643 or about 69 per cent of the county executive’s development budget. No reason was given for under-utilisation of development funds,” reads the report in part.

Sang said the low absorption in the budget was caused by delay in the budget approval process.

“The county assembly approved the 2017-18 budget estimates with a number of errors which led to the Office of the Controller of Budget rejecting the budget,” he said.

Due to the errors, he added, his administration wrote a sessional paper to the county assembly and prepared an entirely new budget, which was approved in November 2017.

But the committee poked holes in the response and demanded to know why the county government denied residents crucial services.

Senators Johannes Mwaruma (Taita Taveta), Fatuma Dullo (Isiolo), Samson Cherargei (Nandi), Ochillo Ayacko (Migori) and Ledama Ole Kina (Narok) piled pressure on the governor to explain why the residents were denied services.

“When you don’t spend, it means that mwananchi is affected. Youths are very active people. How did you spend zero on Youth Affairs, really?” Mwaruma posed.

Cherargei said, “The people of Nandi did not get value for money that was allocated in 2016-17 because Sh625 million in the CRF account was carried forward. Again in 2017-18 there was under-absorption.”

“You have made roads impassable because of under-absorption on roads and transport. That is why you are using imprests to wash your cars,” he added.

But Sang explained that although the report showed poor absorption, several projects were ongoing but had not matured for payment.

“It doesn’t mean that if we did not make any payments then work did not start. We had very many projects that were at various stages of implementation but we could not pay because they were not completed,” the governor said.

The county chief was also put to task to explain why his administration did not recover Sh758,280 in imprest during the year despite the law that recoveries should happen within 14 days.

Sang said that at the time of the audit, the imprests register had not been updated and the surrenders had not been attached to the imprest warrants.

The governor was also questioned on why the county revenue dipped by Sh46.85 million from the previous year.

“The reduction in county own-source revenue was attributed to transitional challenges and low collection of tea cess,” he said.

Tags: Governor SangNandi County
ShareTweetSend
Previous Post

Let’s Use Covid-19 Lessons To Anchor UHC Roll-out, President Kenyatta Says

Next Post

Tender billions: How government agencies defied Uhuru order

Related Posts

Co-operative Bank launches digital account opening process

Co-op Bank profit jumps to Sh18 billion as income streams expand

August 14, 2026
KEBS clears five Kenyan alcohol brands suspended in Rwanda

KEBS clears five Kenyan alcohol brands suspended in Rwanda

August 11, 2026
Next Post
Uhuru might lock down four high-risk counties in Covid-19 war

Tender billions: How government agencies defied Uhuru order

Please login to join discussion

Continue Reading

Co-operative Bank launches digital account opening process

Co-op Bank profit jumps to Sh18 billion as income streams expand

by Star Today
August 14, 2026

Co-operative Bank of Kenya has recorded a strong financial performance in the first half of 2026, with net profit rising...

KEBS clears five Kenyan alcohol brands suspended in Rwanda

KEBS clears five Kenyan alcohol brands suspended in Rwanda

by Star Today
August 11, 2026

 The Kenya Bureau of Standards (KEBS) has moved to reassure consumers and regional trade partners that five Kenyan alcoholic beverage...

Free medical camp brings healthcare closer to residents at Mwale Medical and Technology City

Free medical camp brings healthcare closer to residents at Mwale Medical and Technology City

by Star Today
August 10, 2026

Residents from Kakamega County benefited from a free medical camp held at Mwale Medical and Technology City (MMTC) in Butere...

Co-op Bank Tops 11 Fastest Growing Companies in Kenya

Co-op Bank puts 65 Hino trucks on auction, prices start at KSh250,000

by Star Today
August 10, 2026

Co-operative Bank of Kenya has announced the auction of 65 commercial trucks, offering prospective buyers an opportunity to acquire Hino...

Recent News

  • Co-op Bank profit jumps to Sh18 billion as income streams expand
  • KEBS clears five Kenyan alcohol brands suspended in Rwanda
  • Free medical camp brings healthcare closer to residents at Mwale Medical and Technology City

Category

  • Business
  • Health
  • Investigation
  • News
  • Opinion
  • Politics
  • Star Today

© 2023

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Politics
  • Investigation
  • Health
  • Opinion

© 2023